A criminal record is also known as a criminal conviction history.

What your criminal record covers

Your criminal record covers criminal and traffic convictions.

It does not include:

  • infringements, such as parking tickets
  • charges that haven’t gone to court yet
  • any charges where you weren’t convicted
  • times you’ve gone to court and were found not guilty
  • military (Court Martial) convictions
  • overseas convictions
  • Police diversions
  • charges in the Youth Court
  • demerit points and driver licence suspensions. You can get a report on these from the New Zealand Transport Agency.

When the Clean Slate scheme applies

You’re said to have no criminal record (criminal conviction history) if all of the following are true. If you have:

  • had no convictions within the last 7 years
  • never been sentenced to a custodial sentence (such as prison, corrective training or borstal)
  • never been convicted of a sexual offence (‘specified offence’)
  • fully paid any fine, compensation, reparation or costs ordered by the court in a criminal case
  • never been banned from driving until further notice (indefinite disqualification)
  • never been held in hospital by the court in a criminal case instead of being sentenced, due to your mental condition.

What the Clean Slate scheme means for your criminal record

If you meet all of the requirements:

  • your criminal convictions are automatically concealed
  • you can say you have no convictions if you are asked about your criminal record in New Zealand. (Note that there are some cases when you will have to provide your full record. Read about these below.)
  • you can still see your convictions if you ask for your full record of convictions
  • no one can ask you to give your full record, except in the cases covered below.

       All your convictions will show on your record again if you:

  • get another conviction
  • don’t fully pay any court-ordered fine, compensation or costs
  • get permanently banned from driving.

Then you’ll need to give all your convictions when asked. This will apply until you meet all the requirements again

Cases when you may have to provide your full record

Even if the Clean Slate scheme applies to you, you may sometimes need to give your full record.

Travelling or living overseas

The Clean Slate scheme does not apply outside New Zealand. When you travel to some countries you may need to give your full record. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country you want to travel to. You can get embassy contact details from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade.

Applying for jobs in New Zealand

You’ll need to agree to give your full record when you apply for certain jobs, for example:

  • police roles
  • prison or probation roles
  • judges, justices of the peace or community magistrates
  • national security roles.
    It is against the law in New Zealand for anyone to ask or make you reveal your full record unless the above specific cases apply.
  • If you require a full record, you can request your history from the Ministry of Justice.

Applying for a Criminal Record Check takes approximately 2 - 5 minutes to complete.  The online application is a fast-simple way to get your criminal history check done fast!

Upload Identification Documents

Uploading documents has never been easier. Just upload the required identification document as shown on the online application process.

Receive your Criminal Record

Depending on the service you chose, your check will be delivered to you in either 3, 10 or 15 business days of the day you lodged your application with My Private I Police Checks

Criminal Record Checks are point in time checks and are current as of the date of issue. A Criminal Record Check has no period of validity; it is up to employers and organisations discretion to determine the period of time for which they will accept a Criminal Record Check.

You must provide a legible copy of your identification which must contain your signature. This can be any one of the following:

  • New Zealand Driver Licence – can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but cannot be cancelled, defaced or a temporary licence.
  • New Zealand Passport – can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but cannot be cancelled or defaced. Must show your signature.
  • Overseas Passports – must be current and cannot be expired, cancelled or defaced. Must show your signature.
  • New Zealand Firearms Licence – must be current and cannot be expired or defaced.

My Private I Police checks will send you a digital copy of your result to your nominated email address submitted on the application form online.

We encourage applicants to contact My Private I Police checks by email or phone if you would like to dispute your criminal record check with us.

The Ministry of Justice (MOJ) is an executive branch of the New Zealand Government. It is responsible for running the court system, administering tribunals, collecting fines, negotiating Treaty of Waitangi claims and supporting the judiciary as well as conducting criminal record checks.